TAMPA, Fla. — Doug Martin has three games left on a drug suspension and will serve them at the beginning of this coming season. But if the Buccaneers running back thinks he’s automatically getting his starting job back once the suspension is over, he may be mistaken.
Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht told ESPN on Saturday that Martin was looking good so far in camp and that the team is happy with the way he’s handling things, but that the reality of the situation is that Martin’s job might not be there for him anymore in Week 4.
“It might not,” Licht said. “Look, he has done everything we’ve asked him to do, and he looks reminiscent of 2015 when he was playing for his contract. He looks the same out there, mentally and physically. So he might be one of those guys that needs a carrot. And he’s got a pretty big carrot in front of him right now, because there’s no guarantees that he’s going to be here. And he knows that. We’ve talked to him, and he’s good with it. He goes, ‘I understand.'”
The Buccaneers believe Jacquizz Rodgers can fill in well at running back while Martin is out and like Charles Sims as a third-down back who can help in the passing game. They also like what Peyton Barber offers as a bruising power back. And they’re just now getting their first on-field look at rookie Jeremy McNichols, the fifth-round draft pick who missed the offseason program while recovering from post-combine shoulder surgery.
“So we like the…
click here to read the rest of this story