The Saints kicked off their second day of training camp open to the media on Friday, which gave us a better tempo than the first day. The team was without pads, but still generated some good moments. Here’s a few of my observations:
- Attendance: Max Unger, Senio Kelemete, Terron Armstead, John Phillips, Damian Swann, and Devaroe Lawrence did not practice. No sign of Orlando Franklin at practice, but head coach Sean Payton did confirm in his post-practice presser that the team was adding him for offensive line depth.
- Marshon Lattimore changed his jersey number from No. 34 to No. 23, and defensive back Dejaun Butler swapped from No. 33 to No. 34.
- Starting defensive rotation again saw the linebacking corps of A.J. Klein (SAM), Manti Te’o (MIKE), and Stephone Anthony (WILL). The same faces appeared for the defensive line (Jordan-Rankins-Onyemata-Okafor) and secondary (P.J. Williams-Breaux-Vaccaro-Bell). Erik Harris also received some work with the first-team defense at the safety spot in place of Te’o.
- The offensive line saw Ryan Ramczyk starting at left tackle once again, but Khalif Barnes did rotate in.
- Getting kick return work today was Ted Ginn Jr., Tommylee Lewis, and Alvin Kamara. The Saints had several kickoff coverage lineups, but the main one consisted of Vaccaro, Coleman, Mauti, Robertson, Therize, Stupar, Lampman, Hendrickson, Banjo, and Bell.
- Drew Brees went 5-for-5 in 7-on-7 drills, while Chase Daniel went 5-for-6. Brees dropped back six times, but was forced to run because of good defensive coverage. Daniel hit Daniel Lasco on a wheel route to open his reps for a deep gain, and also found Willie…
click here to read the rest of this story