Offensive lineman Orlando Franklin didn’t take long to get acclimated to the New Orleans Saints.
Franklin, who signed a one-year deal on Thursday, took second-team repetitions at left guard Saturday and is thankful for the chance with the Saints after the Chargers released him in May.
“I’m just happy to be here, happy for this opportunity,” Franklin said. “In San Diego, it’s just been a tough two years for me out there. So, I’m happy to be with a new team and new surroundings.”
The 6-foot-6, 315-pound Franklin said he battled through injuries while with the Chargers and admits he played games while not 100 percent healthy.
He underwent knee surgery in January to address past issues, and asked the Chargers to trade him in March before his eventual release in May after the NFL Draft.
Franklin said he had a workout with the Jacksonville Jaguars shortly after he and the Chargers parted ways, but he admits his knee wasn’t ready.
While he wanted to play football, Franklin and his agent decided to wait until training camps started around the league and the extra time to heal worked in his favor.
Franklin had a visit with the New York Jets earlier last week before the Saints brought him in, and his decision to sign with New Orleans came easy.
“We have a great opportunity here, especially on offense,” he said. “I wanted to be a part of a high-powered offense. My first couple of years in the league, we were able to do a lot of great things on offense. I feel like we have a great opportunity here, we have all the pieces to the puzzle.”
The 29-year-old Franklin would certainly know what it is like…
click here to read the rest of this story