The Detroit Lions have extended former receiver Calvin Johnson an invitation to the team’s training camp next month in Allen Park, Michigan, team president Rod Wood told WJR Radio on Monday, according to the team website.
Johnson, the franchise’s all-time leader in catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, has expressed displeasure over the past few months with his departure from the club upon his retirement in March 2016.
At the time of his retirement, he said the main reason for it were various injuries that had built up during his nine-year career with the club, including ankle and finger issues. He still has a finger that is off-kilter and he told ESPN that during his “Dancing with the Stars” stint last year, there were weeks where his ankles were still in bad shape.
Earlier this month during a news conference in Italy, Johnson said the team’s lack of success was also a contributing factor to his early retirement. During a news conference with Italian reporters, he brought up the idea of superteams when he was asked if he thought about switching teams.
“Of course, I thought about it,” he said. “Just like in basketball, you know, guys, they create these superteams. But it’s not quite like that in football where I had the freedom just to go.
“I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn’t see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn’t worth my time to keep on beating my head…
click here to read the rest of this story